City of SASAYAMA /UNESCO Creative Cities Network
What is UNESCO Creative Cities Network?
UNESCO (United Nations, Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) established "UNESCO Creative Cities Network" in 2004 as a framework to maximize promotion of strategic partnerships between the cities that has potential possibilities of cultural assets in each cities as well as preserves cultural diversity. Designates cities in 7 different fields and promotes exchange.
7 fields：Literature,Film,Music,Craft and Folk Art,Design,Media Art,Gastronomy
Bandung, Indonesia（2015）,Beijing, China (2012),Berlin, Deutschland (2005),Bilbao, Spain (2014),Budapest, Hungary（2015）,Buenos Aires, Argentina (2005),Curitiba, Brazil (2014),Detroit, USA（2015）,Dundee, UK (2014),Graz, Australia (2011),Helsinki, Finland (2014),Kaunas, Lithuania（2015）,Kobe, Japan (2008),Montreal, Canada (2006),Nagoya, Japan (2008),Puebla, Mexico（2015）,Saint-Etienne, France (2010),Seoul, Korea (2008),Shanghai, China (2010),Shenzhen, China (2008),Singapore, Singapore（2015）,Torino, Italy (2014)
Baghdad, Iraq（2015）,Barcelona, Spain（2015）,Dublin, Ireland (2010),Dunedin, New Zealand (2014),Edinburgh, UK (2004),Spain (2014),Heidelberg, Germany (2014),Iowa City, USA (2008),Kraków, Poland (2013),Ljubljana, Slovenia（2015）,Lviv, Ukraine（2015）,Melbourne, Australia (2008),Montevideo, Uruguay（2015）,Norwich, UK (2012),Nottingham, UK（2015）,Obidos, Portugal（2015）,Prague, Czech Republic (2014),Reykjavik, Iceland (2011),Tartu, Estonia（2015）,Ulyanovsk, Russia（2015）
Adelaide, Australia（2015）,Bogota, Colombia (2012),Bologna, Italy (2006),Brazzaville, Republic of Congo (2013),Ghent, Belgium (2009),Glasgow, UK (2008),Hamamatsu, Japan (2014),Hannover, Germany (2014),Idanha-a-nova, Portugal（2015）,Katowice, Poland（2015）,Kingston, Jamaica（2015）,Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo,Liverpool, UK（2015）,Mannheim, Germany (2014),Medellin, Colombia（2015）,Salvador, Brazil（2015）,Seville, Spain (2006),Tongyeong, Korea（2015）,Varanasi, India（2015）
Belem, Brazil（2015）,Bergen, Norway（2015）,Burgos, Spain（2015）,Chengdu, China (2010),Denia, Spain（2015）,Ensenada, Mexico（2015）,Florianopolis, Brazil (2014),Gaziantep, Turkey（2015）,Jeonju, Korea (2012),Parma, Italy（2015）,Phuket, Thailand（2015）,Popayán, Colombia (2005),Rasht, Iran（2015）,Shunde, China (2014),Tsuruoka, Japan (2014),Tucson, USA（2015）,Zahlé, Lebanon (2013),Östersund, Sweden (2011)
Craft and Folk Art
Al-Ahsa, Saudi Arabia（2015）,Aswan, Egypt (2005),Bamiyan, Afghanistan（2015）,Duran, Ecuador（2015）,Fabriano, Italy (2013),Hangzhou, China (2012),Korea (2010),Isfahan, Iran（2015）,Jacmel, Haiti (2014),Jaipur, India（2015）,Jingdezhen, China (2014),Kanazawa, Japan (2009),Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo（2015）,Nassau, Bahamas (2014),Paducah, USA (2013),Pekalongan, Indonesia (2014),San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico（2015）,Santa Fe, USA (2005),Sasayama, Japan（2015）,Suzhou, China (2014)
Bitora, Macedonia（2015）,Bradford, UK (2009),Busan, Korea (2014),Galway, Ireland (2014),Rome, Italy（2015）,Santos, Brazil（2015）,Sofia, Bulgaria (2014),Sydney, Australia (2010)
Austin, USA（2015）,Dakar, Senegal (2014),Enghien-les-Bains, France (2013),Gwangju, Korea (2014),Linz, Austria (2014),Lyon, France (2008),Sapporo, Japan (2013),Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel (2014),York, UK (2014)
As a member city of UNESCO Creative Cities Network (Craft & Folk Art)
Sasayama City was designated as UNESCO Creative Cities Network of Craft & Folk Art field on December 11,2015. There are beautiful landscapes,traditions and natures in here. Even Sasayama is located just an hour away from Kyoto and Osaka we kept farming cultures and traditional industries. Sasayama City promotes “Creativity" focusing farming landscapes,local communities and ordinary lifestyle cultures based on“Sasayama Creative City Promotion Plan". Also,w e develop agricultures,crafts,buildings and festivals which have been inheriting from our ancestor' as “Creative Industry".
Director General of Agency for Cultural Affairs Award (Cultural Art Creative City field) in 2008
33 cities received this award because of the cities achieved magnificent results in initiatives revitalize the local community by cultural art. There are approximately 1700 cities in Japan and Kanazawa City,Sapporo City and Kobe City received this award as well as they are UNESCO Creative Cities Network member cities.
Designed as Important Preservation Districts for Groups of Historic Buildings in 2012 (Second designated area)
Important Preservation Districts for Groups of Historic Buildings system was established in 1975 due to revision of the Cultural Assets Protection Law to preserve the historical villages and townscapes such as castle town, post town and temple town. The candidate cities submit application to the nation then evaluates and selects the cities that have highest evaluation values to our country. Sasayama castle town was selected in December 10, 2004. And the landscape of Fukusumi was selected in July 19, 2012.
Cityscape award in 2014
This is the system aimed to form better cityscape. Revitalize activities by Machinami Hozonkai and citizens and increase community members was highly evaluated.
Designated as Japan Heritage in 2015
This is the system to select stories about our nation’s culture and tradition. Sasayama City applied “Dekansyo-bushi” as a theme of the story that the climates, the sights and local products are sing in a lyric and selected as 1 of 18 designated cities in Japan.
- 2009.1 Received Director General of Agency for Cultural Affairs Award (Cultural Art Creative City field)
- 2009.4 Tanba Sasayama castle 400 years Festival
- 2011.11 Established Sasayama Creative Cities Network Promotion Preparation Committee
- 2012.1 Established Sasayama Creative Cities Network Promotion Committee
- 2012.1 Creative Village Workshop in Sasayama
- 2012.12 Selected as Important Preservation Districts for Groups of Historic Buildings (Second district)
- 2013.1 Resisted as host city of Creative Cities Network Japan
- 2013.5 Gastronomy and pottery international biennale pre event
- 2013.9 Decide on “Sasayama Creative City Promotion Plan"
- 2014.3 UNESCO Creative Cities Network of Craft & Folk Art field
- 2014.5 Received Cityscape award (City Space field)
- 2014.9 Sasayama Creative City Symposium
- 2014.9 Attend UNESCO Creative Cities Network in Chengdu meeting
- 2014.11 Visited UNESCO Creative Cities Network member city of Icheon city (Republic of Korea)
- 2015.4 Designated as Japan Heritage
- 2015.5 Visited UNESCO Creative Cities Network member city Hangzhou city (China)
- 2015.5 Attend UNESCO Creative Cities Network Annual meeting in Kanazawa
- 2015.6 Mayor visited UNESCO Headquarter in Paris
- 2015.6 Visited UNESCO Creative Cities Network member city Enghien'les'Bains (France)
- 2015.7 Applied UNESCO Creative Cities Network of Craft & Folk Art field
- 2015.11 Tanba Sasayama Gastronomy and pottery international biennale event
- 2015.12 Designated as UNESCO Creative Cities Network
〒669-2397 兵庫県丹波篠山市北新町41（第2庁舎 2階）